Friday 29 May 2009

Candy card - being a grandma

Alex aka eisbären is having a great blogcandy with a twist. You need to either make a card following her sketch or write a joke/anecdote that will make her laugh out loud. Since I'm not good at telling jokes (can never remember them) I thought I'd make a card. Here's the sketch she made:


I've been wanting to make a card for a friend of mine that became a granny not too long ago. This sketch was perfect for the image I had in mind. I wanted to use a stamp that makes you think of children. I think my friend can be the girl and the new baby is the doll :) The baby is a girl so maybe it will show my friend how her granddaughter will play with dolls in a not too distant future.

I used some great patterned papers I just recieved from scrapaddicted. I got really disappointed with the order though since she was out of the stampscrubber pad I wanted. I made the order because of that and in the end the cost of the cardstock was the same as if I had bought it in my local store. So no luck there but I did manage to get some really cute buttonbrads that I have used on fabric for my stuffed animal clothes. You can see one of them on the flower. The flocked blue brad is also from that order. I ordered a secret decoration set and they were among there.
I like the way the word "celebrate" is in focus. It was totally by accident, lol. I like these papers with texts because it gives me a quick way of adding text and adds more interest to the card.


Stamp is from Sarah Kay. The text is written on the computer and then cut out with my oval nestie. Promarkers used to colour the image:
apple and lime
cool aqua
pastel yellow
ivory (dollface)
saffron (girlface)
carmine

I also used some of my old fashionsketching pantone pens. The pink I used is very similar to promarker's "blossom".
Around the image I used ice grey 1.

Oh and for the first time ever I used my sewing machine to sew in paper. How fun was that! But I sew from the wrong side so when the needle poked through the paper it raised it a bit. Think it looks much better than it does on the other side (not that you can see, but it's too flat) Now I just have to hope that my friend doesn't decide to look around here before the card reaches her. I'm so used to e-mails and things going so fast I can't believe it will take a week before she gets it. And that's when I have sent it! I still have it here and I'm always sooo slowpokey to send stuff off.


Today I went to my local store JP hobby since they had 25% off in the whole store. My little cousin is graduating from high-school next week and I want to make a nice card for him. Well, actually I want it to be a mindblowing card, lol. It will be a challenge since blue/yellow/white might be quite hard especially since I'm no fan of blues ;) So I looked around the shop and got myself some really nice things:
*A magnolia stamp I've been wanting since february - the cupid Tilda from the Valentine collection
*Pearl decorations
*papers for the grad. card - blues and distressed look is not really my thing, but I thought it would be great for a guy.
*matching blue flowers for the card
*maya road suitcase chipboard album - this time I HAVE to make something with it.
*tiny buttons for my sewing stuff
*rickrack ribbon for sewing aswell

What do you think of my loot?

3 comments:

Alex said...

HI there, thanks for joining in my blog candy and well done on your card, it's really nice! Good luck for the draw and hope you come and visit again!
Love, Alex

Lynn Stevens said...

Your card is adorable and I.m sure she will LOVE it! Looks like you had lots of fun shopping too!

Karen said...

Great card!

Thanks for joining in my blog candy and allowing me to discover your blog: Love it.